20 May, 2010

Eat: Quest for the Best Burger in LA


Yesterday I decided that I wanted to embark on a quest to find the best burger in Los Angeles. I am a total burger girl and while I'd love to and have been a vegetarian I just crave burgers. The funny and ironic thing is is that one of my daily blog reads (Eaterla.com) posted that it is national burger month and there is a poll on facebook for the best burger in LA. Well, I am gonna visit some of these places and test them out for myself and let you all know my personal experience with them.

Last night I went to the first contender: The Counter.

I had been there once before with my boyfriend and only had the sliders (we were on our way to dinner and were so hungry that we couldn't wait). I think it is quite easy to make a good slider; they are small and compact so all the juices and flavors are kept in. Now to make a great burger, in my opinion, is a lot harder. The cool thing about The Counter is that you get to build your own burger from top to bottom.

They have tons of options to choose from, which I appreciate cause I am a picky eater. They also have sweet potato fries; my favorite! Anyhow, our burgers came and after I took some photos I dove in. I was a bit disappointed. The grilled onions were soggy and the meat was dry. The bun tasted like it was a couple of days old and the dressing was a bit flavorless. I was surprised because the sliders I had before were great and I hoped the burger would be the same.

The fries were delicious and cooked just right, but seeing as I am searching for the best burger they aren't a part of my decision. I do have to say though that in order to truly appreciate a burger, I need to have perfectly cooked and seasoned fries.

I was a bit disappointed, but it wasn't a completely awful burger. It just wasn't great. I definitely wouldn't put it in my top 3 best burgers and so The Counter is out.

2 comments:

  1. i have been wanting to try the corner! heard great thing. check out my post on dtown burger bar...you might like!

    http://dailymixla.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. those fries look super good!

    Following your blog! please check out mine too when you get a chance, hope you follow back : )

    www.the-blisslist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete